The truth is, I’m a little down today — feeling inadequate and blah.
At work, my husband was talking with a man here temporarily from Wyoming. The man’s company may keep him here for several years. “I don’t know if I can take it,” he said. “In Wyoming we have cold weather and snow, too, but we also have 337 days of sun a year!” Guess how many we have? 153. In fact we have the distinction of being in the top ten worst weather cities in America. Not to be overly simplistic, but I’m certain the lack of sunshine has a measurable effect on me!
Anyway, Martin Lloyd-Jones writes in Spiritual Depression, “Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?” So in an effort to turn the tide I’m going to jump in on the Friday Fave Five roundup at Living to Tell the Story. Because the truth is that there are many small wonders to be thankful for.
1. My new bathrobe. My mother-in-law made me one for Christmas, but it wasn’t quite long enough, and the material was kind of funky for my tastes. I would never have mentioned these things, but my husband did — and she responded by making me a new one! I feel like royalty wearing it: it’s thick polar fleece trimmed with gold and white braid, and it goes all the way to my feet. Hence I can stand at the door waiting for the dog with warm ankles. It’s wonderful! And of course, so is the generosity and love and talent I’m the recipient of every time I put it on.
2. Two beautiful daughters who fill the house with creations. Older Daughter makes tiny horses out of clay — she calls them “Pennywhickers,” because they’re the size of pennies.
Younger Daughter makes things she knows I love and gives them to me… like this plump cardinal sitting on a nest.
3. Valentine flowers that lasted a long time and beautified the kitchen.
4. A husband and daughters who eat even my failures with a good will.
5. The generosity of people who share their time and their animals with my daughters.
Now I’m really rolling… So many more “faves” are crowding my mind now. So, mission accomplished.
What are you grateful for this week? This roundup is one of the best things going in the blogosphere.
- Poetry Friday: Back to Basics
- Old Testament Struggles