I’m just in under the wire, I think, but better late than never when it comes to combing over the last week for its best moments, achievements and happenings.
1. School went well. I became a hard teacher this week with my homeschooled third and sixth grader. It meant that certain goals got accomplished. As they say, it rises and falls on leadership, and I made some much-needed improvements this week.
2. Getting things done: orthodontist evaluations for the girls, haircuts, an appointment to get the damper noise fixed on our piano. I’m not sure why I procrastinate so badly about setting such appointments up!
3. Older Daughter got started with the 4H horse she’ll be working with for her project horse. (This is actually a fave from two weeks ago.) It’s a miniature horse named Spitsy, and she’s beginning to learn how to care for and work with him. His owner is very knowledgeable and a great teacher, and we appreciate her generosity with both her her horse and her expertise very much!
4. Younger Daughter made the first basket in her first Upward basketball game. Go Number 5!
5. Sewing with Grandma. My mother-in-law is an accomplished seamstress, and she came over and worked with the girls on different projects today. Younger Daughter is making a quilt; Older Daughter is making some clothes. Seeing as I don’t have the gene for sewing or comprehending how to read a pattern, this is a real blessing for the girls. :-/
*I ordered Les Mis — the Norman Denny translation, based on Amy’s recommendation. I need something sweeping, involved, and affirming to occupy my mind and imagination, and I’m taking the leap.
*I got a letter from a favorite author, in response to one I wrote him, and received some unexpected affirmation and encouragement that meant a lot to me.
*Older Daughter and I made a book about one of our favorite nature study experiences last year, and it turned out really good. I’m thinking I may share it here, if I can figure out how to do it.
*Boats, boats, and more boats out of balsa wood. It used to be horses; now it’s boats testifying to the restless creative energies of Daughter #1. She’s getting in her 10,000 hours at creating. Who knows where it will lead? I love that she creates things.
I haven’t joined in on this carnival in quite awhile, but it’s always worthwhile. What are your faves from this week?